Proper clinical skills education requires a very intentional approach and while there are many different schools of thought and innovative technologies, the advent of mobile video recording solutions could be a game-changer.
The Power of Video in Clinical Skills Education
Clinical skills education has undergone significant changes over the past couple of decades. One of the biggest shifts has occurred with video recording. Video has risen to prominence as the preferred teaching and learning medium in the industry – and for good reason!
In terms of the medium itself, video is powerful for several reasons:
- Fast processing speed. Did you know that the human brain processes visual content 60,000-times faster than text? In other words, if you want a student to learn something quickly, they’re much better off seeing it firsthand. When you combine this fast processing speed with the other benefits below, it becomes clear why video is such an important part of the clinical skills education experience.
- Superior learning experience. Video is superior to traditional instruction and learning in every way. There’s nothing wrong with textbooks, slides, or audio, but video puts them all to shame – especially when a student is able to observe themselves after a session. In fact, 40 percent of all nerve fibers to the brain are connected to the retina. Thus it should come as no surprise that most people describe themselves as visual learners.
- Simplification of the complex. Depending on what’s being discussed, taught, or learned, there are certain areas of study that can’t be properly engaged with in a textbook or oral lecture. Video has a way of simplifying the complex and turning it into something much more digestible and easy to understand.
- Long-term memory. Because of the benefits mentioned earlier, video learning tends to have a much longer shelf life than other forms of learning. It’s much more likely to go into the long-term memory banks, where it may be accessed for months and years to come.
When you combine each of these elements together and add a mobile solution into the mix, the benefits are only enhanced.
What is a Mobile Video Recording System?
A mobile video recording system is basically a compact version of a standard clinical recording solution that’s designed for remote, on-the-go use. Rather than being restricted to a specific lab setting, classroom, or footprint, students and instructors are able to record clinical skills training from a variety of locations.
Mobile video recording opens up an entirely new world of opportunities for both the student and the instructor. If you want to think about it in a context that most people understand, adding a mobile option to a clinical skills recording platform is like the addition of the smartphone camera in the 2000s. When the smartphone camera came along, people suddenly didn’t need expensive and bulky equipment. A large camcorder wasn’t necessary. Anyone and everyone earned the ability to pull a small device out of their pocket and record. It was a game-changer.
While mobile video recording solutions for clinical skills education have much more to offer than a smartphone camera ever could, you get the idea. This transformative technology is tearing down barriers and providing exciting opportunities for students and instructors alike.
The Biggest Benefits of Mobile Video Recording in Clinical Skills Education
While some skills can be taught in a skills lab or controlled environment, the reality is that most students need to practice carrying out the procedure in an actual clinical setting in order to acquire the skill.
Skills are learned – they’re rarely innate. And if it can be broken down into explicit steps and practiced over and over again, skills can be improved. Mobile video recording doesn’t necessarily improve someone’s skills, but it does provide an avenue through which skills may be acquired and improved.
Here are a few of the biggest benefits of mobile video recording (when compared to other traditional video recording solutions):
- Versatile. With mobile video recording, you're not restricted to a particular location. You can record in virtually any setting or environment. This ensures you’re able to record both inside and outside of controlled lab environments, which paves the way for more useful recording in real-world clinical settings.
- Discrete. With mobile recording, you can literally record with nothing more than a smartphone. And because it’s so discrete, it’s a lot less intrusive (for the student and the patient). This leads to more natural and organic results.
- Always Available. Unlike a traditional video recording solution that requires you to be in a particular classroom or lab setting, mobile recording is always available. This allows you to flip on the camera and start recording at any time.
- Real-Time Feedback. Want to show a student how they’re doing in real-time? With mobile recording, the feedback is nearly instantaneous. As soon as the session is done, you can play it back and point out areas for improvement.
- Superior Quality. Old video recording systems typically produced low-resolution, grainy video that was painful to watch, but with mobile video recording, your video will always be HD quality (assuming you have a decent smartphone, tablet, or recording device).
- Accessibility. In addition to giving you versatility on the recording front, mobile video recording also offers plenty of accessibility on the backend. As soon as a video is recorded, it’s automatically uploaded into the cloud where it can be accessed from anywhere. This makes reviewing past sessions a breeze.
Video recording solutions run the gamut. On one end of the spectrum, you have clunky applications that are hardwired into specific lab rooms and require a very complex setup process. On the other end of the spectrum, there are mobile solutions that offer remote, on-the-fly capabilities. There’s a time and place for both, but remote platforms are quickly becoming the go-to option for clinical skills education.
Mobile Video Recording is the Future
Mobile video recording for clinical skills education is a game-changer. If you’re looking for a way to improve your training and instantly turn any mobile device into a mobile recording platform, Intelligent Video Solutions has precisely what you’re looking for. You can learn more here!